Official Crawler


Greyson is officially crawling. His motor development has progressed at light speed in the last week. In the blink of an eye he's become a different baby. He crawls after us from room to room, pulls up to standing in his crib, and has managed to successfully pluck his video monitor off the top of his crib and disconnect it. We are in a whole new world of baby. Greyson seems triumphant about his newfound abilities. His relatively late development in this area restricted him to our living room rug for his first year of life. Now that he's been emancipated, I think he thinks we have remodeled and added three other rooms to the house. Everything is a discovery. A drawer handle is a wonder, a piece of lint, stardust, and our cat, his new "catch" partner. It is a very different world. Another addition this morning was our washing machine. I was starting a load of laundry and our little busybody came crawling by. He was enamored. It was so cute (see video below).




I am so thankful that my mom was able to be here to witness these dramatic changes. It was a joy having her here. She spent her days organizing my stuff, playing with Greyson, and taking mandatory naps (enforced by yours truly). At night we laid out on the living room sofa bed and watched reruns of "Judging Amy" and "What Not to Wear." This past Tuesday we took Greyson to Pier 39 to have lunch and visit the sea lions. We rented a wheelchair for my mom, threw Greyson on her lap, and wheeled them both around. I know Greyson loved being held and being mobile at the same time. I'm sure he never thought that was possible.
Even though Greyson being mobile means constant vigilance on my part, I enjoy the fact that when I turn and walk away now, he can crawl after me. He used to just wail in protest whenever that happened, now he just wails whilst crawling, which is a refreshing alternative. This propulsion to move has made changing diapers and clothing a challenge. Today Greyson had a huge fit, complete with tears and pouty lips, when I forced him on his back to change his diaper. The child wailed like he'd suffered unspeakable injustice. It was both hilarious and pathetic. I thought that when Greyson hit this phase that I'd hate it, just because of how much more it would require of me. Surprisingly, I find myself loving it. Things are so different now. When Greyson wants me, he crawls over to me and climbs into my lap. Before he was dependent on me for very tangible needs; he couldn't get to a toy that had fallen out of reach, or be close to me without me picking him up. Now that he's his own little person on the go, he still comes to me for those intangible necessities, and it makes me feel honored somehow.
Other wonderful occurrences: my cousin, Eeling came to visit us from Singapore. It was the first time she'd ever come to see me here in the States. Even though we didn't have a lot of time together, it was a joy to have her in our home, and to see yet again what a beautiful, intelligent and lovely young lady she's become. We've lived apart for a long time, but I can honestly say that if we had the chance to be in each other's everyday, I think we'd be marvelous friends.
2 Comments:
Dramatic development I witness just a week since arrival! What privilege; what joy..PTL! Thought I miss 'nothing' tho we're long-distant-grandparents, so to speak.Looking forward to the child's dedication unto the Lord in Church this Sunday..we've much to be thankful!
where are the videos of him crawling? that's so exciting!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home