Big Steps
Greyson is walking. In the last two days, he's put his whole mind to mastering it at a speed so fast the videos we took on Wednesday were outdated by Thursday. What began as 3 steps, became 8, and now he can walk all the way all the way across our living room and back. Every chance he gets, he's practicing. I've even seen him trying to take steps in his crib during nap time. He's supremely proud of himself while walking, with a huge smile on his face, he yells "MAMA!!!" to make sure I don't miss a second of his accomplishment. It is the most adorable sight. He still crawls when he really wants to get somewhere, but slowly and surely, the percentage between walking and crawling is starting to even out. When Grey is interested, he is relentless. These videos are already outdated. Roque said today that Greyson is walking different this evening than he was this morning. The speed at which this is happening is insane. Roque and I are mourning our crawler.
Wednesday
Thursday
On a different, but not entirely unrelated note, I fell in love with an 8 foot tall Yucca tree yesterday. I was looking for a plant for our living room, something sculptural, nothing ferny or "frou frou." I have always been commitment-phobic about owning plant life. This was a symbolic purchase for me because it represents the sense of permanence I feel for our new place. I saw it in the nursery, and it spoke to me. I had to bring her home. Spurred by the zeal of a new homeowner, I decided to forgo the option of delivery or potting services, cart the behemoth home and re-pot her myself. I carefully selected a pot for it, bought screens, soil and a saucer; carried them, the plant, a bag of potting soil and all my tools up to our living room. I ran into my neighbor outside and she said, "You're not planning to carry that plant and that pot up yourself are you?" It took me almost an hour and a half to carefully transfer my Yucca from its plastic nest to it's new ceramic home, from laying down layers of pebbles and soil, to finishing off with Spanish moss. I wiped each individual leaf with a wet paper towel. I nursed, I fussed, I coddled. The whole time, Greyson was walking back and forth the living room, yelling "MAMA!!!" with each stride. I felt a kinship with my boy in our shared moments of personal triumph. The largest house plant I'd ever invited home, the biggest steps he'd ever taken. It's ridiculous how proud I feel every time I see my Yucca. Greyson waves to it, it's become our new Christmas tree.

4 Comments:
Welcome Yucca to the home! Greyson's determination to 'practise' walking inspires Ahmah!
nally said" you see, he practices, he doesn't give up." solemnly. Thank you grey grey for a wonderful heart lesson. Welcome to walking with Jesus! we'll miss running after you on our knees
It's a little sad, that the crazy speed crawling boy is now going to be the crazy speed walking boy. Still, he'll always be the one that taught Olivia to crawl. I think he showed her the way to freedom.Congratulations, you now have a full blown toddler!
Perfect plant by the way
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home