Greycinations

Monday, February 04, 2008

Ducks and Naps




















My parents are visiting, hence the feeble blog posts. They arrived last week and it's been nothing short of fabulous seeing them with Greyson. Our new house accommodates them beautifully, except the stairs which are kind of pain for Mom (literally). They are a big reason why we felt justified purchasing such a large space, and it's great to see them actually inhabit the room we intended for them. Greyson took to them immediately, the ham that he is, and knows instantly that he has an audience.

Grey Grey is almost at one nap now, although the transition has been drawn out and confusing for me. Today, after four days of taking a one nap, he was tired and cranky by 9:30. I put him down at 11 thinking he'd take a catnap but he slept for so long that I actually opened his room door and stared at him as he slept wondering if I should wake him up. After 10 minutes of the door open and me staring, I sat down in the glider next to his crib and waited. Almost immediately he stirred, and when he rolled over and saw me, he looked surprised. Cheeks flushed, hair askew and Wooly in hand, he immediately pulled up to standing, paused for moment then said, "Woosh." He didn't take a second nap in the afternoon so the evening was, as usual, a rush for the finish line. I wish there were clearer operating instructions for raising kids, but it seems like it's a mystery from child to child. I am already missing "two nap life" but I'm hoping that this transition will pass soon and that his nap schedule will establish itself.

Yesterday we went with Uncle Biggs to Lake Merced to feed the ducks. It was lots of fun, although freezing cold. Greyson stood by the water's edge and yelled "Ya Ya!!!" repeatedly (Mandarin for "duck"), as swarms of ducks waddled about us, fighting for cookie crumbs. Now that he's walking, taking Greyson out is such a different experience. We now have the option of the stroller instead of the pre-requisite, although carrying our 30 pounder, even occasionally, is still no picnic. It feels so different having him walk all by himself, next to us, instead of attached to us. The other day, Greyson walked out of a restaurant on his own as we held the door open for him. Bizarre.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Uncle Biggs is like your personal photographer! The scrap book of greyson's life will be so full of these great family photos thanks to Uncle Biggs! I think we have one shot of Joe, Ollie, and myself together...and I think it's about four months old!

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home