Greycinations

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Finally Home

We are finally here. It's been almost a week since we left San Francisco, and only today do I feel slightly rested. Greyson was beyond miserable during the flight. Between us having to feed him during take off and landing, meal service, turbulence, transit, and him already being overtired and unable to settle, he didn't sleep more than 5 hours during that whole 20 hour flight. Yes, we were the parents whose child was screaming for hours on the plane. I was driven a little crazy at points by Singapore Airline flight attendants insisting I take Greyson out of the bassinet during turbulence. I had to dig my heels in and be the b#@!*y mom who damned the rules and risked her child's life in favor of sleep. It didn't end when we landed. For a baby who sleeps 12 hours straight every night, last night was the first time Greyson slept a straight 6 hours in a week. It is heart-breaking to watch. Everyone warned us traveling with an infant would be exhausting for us as parents. I wasn't prepared for how hard it would be for my child.

All things considered, it's great to be home. It's amazing to bring your child back to place where you grew up. Watching Greyson with my uncles, aunties and cousins reminds me of what I'm missing being so far away from my family. We had a lovely close to the Chinese New Year season last night with dinner at my grandmother's. I love my cousins and it's great to see how they've all grown up and become such great human beings.


Greyson in the airplane bassinet. Every time we hit turbulence, flight attendants would flock to our seats like flies asking us to wake him up and hold him in our laps. I wanted punch out one of those skinny ladies in their skin-tight sarong kebayas.




Greyson's first minutes in Singapore.
An
awesome tip I learned from a fellow mom in my mom's group: the Britax Roundabout fits perfectly in to the Maclaren Quest and it's terrific for getting around the airport with both your stroller and car seat in tow. Plus, it makes you kid feel like royalty being up so high.






2 am Singapore time: Ma Ma and Gong Gong waiting anxiously at the arrival gate.









My family (husband behind camera).













The meeting of four generations.

3 Comments:

Blogger tania choi said...

oh girl,
i am so sorry. i have been praying and thinking about you all week. wondering how the adjustments have been. i am glad you're seeing the slivers of joy. its lovely to see ah mah in the same picture as the boy. you were restrained, i would have punched the stewardesses out.
cheers,
t

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Thank you for travelling miles, braving the 'hazardous' journey to take Greyson to meet us all..bless you & dear Rock..we appreciate the love expressed!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Biggedy said...

Wow, Grey looks zoned out (no pun intended... okay maybe a little)! Poor guy! Well, at least his hair looks great! Mr. Baloon says hi.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home