Family



Before I had children, I used to get really annoyed when I asked parents how old their kids were, and they'd give me crazy figures like "nineteen and a half months." I could never understand it, why subject the childless to unnecessary division? Now that I am a parent, I completely understand. The developmental leaps in a child at this stage are relentless and dramatic from one month to the next. My parents have been here for three weeks, and Greyson has grown since they first arrived. He walks so steady now, almost runs at times. He says more and more words now like "nai nai"(milk in Mandarin), "Nite Nite", "Wooeee" (Wooly), "no"(on occasion), "di di" (diaper). He roars for lion, hisses for snake, hoots for owl, and yells "ya ya" at the sight of anything that flies. He understands everything we say to him. He knows how to sound the letters M, S, P and sometimes G. The other day I burped out loud, and he followed. A commercial about snoring aids came on the radio the other day in the car, and he started snoring along with it. He has also mastered "Ah Ma" and "Gong Gong", the prize, and timely acquisition of the month.
We had our 18 month check up last week, a little late since Greyson is almost 19 months old. Our boy is 30 lbs, 3 oz, and 35" long. His height and weight are 98th and 97th and his head is off the charts at 100th percentile. Almost three feet tall, Greyson is more than half his Daddy's height, and he's only a year and half. He wears 3T tops and 2T pants, size 6 diapers and 3T-4T pullups at night time. We are still transitioning to one nap, which consists of him napping only for 1 hour and 15 min some days and then crashing at 6:30. Those days aren't pretty, but I keep reminding myself how blessed I am to have a healthy, happy baby to spend time with.





I dropped my parents off at my sister's today where they'll be until they leave next week. As I drove away, I saw my mom in the rear view mirror, watching me leave, waving to my car until I disappeared around the corner. Whenever I left Singapore, my mom would always stand at the airport gate, waving until I was out of sight. No matter how far away I was, I could always see her standing there, so tiny and fragile, waving. It is a sight that always brings tears to my eyes. Ah Ma and Gong Gong are not even out of the country yet, and we miss them. Greyson wanders around the house calling "Ah Ma", searching their room for his playmate Gong Gong. They have left their mark on our new home. Our house sports new curtains sewn with so much love and precision by Ah Ma. Our backyard now has a 12' long ditch dug into it to help with our flooding issues, courtesy of my father, the architect. Our closets are more organized, our windows have been window proofed, our house is warmer, our kitchen is cleaner, all the product of parents loving on their kids, one generation down to the next. No one loves you like your parents, no one. We are profoundly thankful.

1 Comments:
This blog makes me cry as any mother would to hear what your grown child has to say!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home