Greycinations

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cake Day

Tomorrow is Greyson's birthday. He's been counting down since the first of this month, every day asking, "Is today July 5? And tomorrow is July 6? Aw man, it's taking a long time!" Finally, we're at July 17, and he's so excited. Even though I really didn't feel up to it this year, we decided to have a birthday party for Greyson, as we always do. The only difference is we're not doing it at our house. We're throwing him a bowling party at a bowling alley in Pacifica. It's such a relief to not have to do all the food and decorations. This year, my only responsibility is the cake. I love to bake and I count it privilege every year that I get to make a cake for my kid. I know there will come a day when he won't want me to and I will do it as long as he'll let me.























Greyson loves being in the kitchen. He loves helping me stir, watching me measure, and licking the spoon. I remember when I found out I was going to have a boy, I thought I wouldn't be able to share things I liked with him like baking or crochet. I doubt he'll ever get into crochet, but Greyson seems to like cooking. It's so great when you can share your interests with your kids. Suddenly what were just hobbies become legacy.

We spent a lovely day at home today, Roque organizing toys and me puttering around the kitchen. Greyson, usually terrible at playing by himself, did really well. He's getting better and better at it, and it's so heartening to see how he's changing. It's funny, before Ella, we never felt like we were missing anything, but now that she's here, the four of us feel so complete. It's like Roque and I each have one, and we're a real family now. It's sounds absurd, but it feels so true. There's a balance on so many levels that wasn't there before. On a side note, I get such a kick out of Ella's hair. It is just like Greyson's when he was little, but she has longer hair than he did, so there's a wave to her do. Roque likes her hair flat in the back but I make sure my girl has her bouffant coiffed and always looks "wind-blown."




















1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures warm our hearts! Ella has grown & looks more 'defined' & indeed a charming damsel to be! Gee..choiced traffic-lights cake for the birthday boy! AhMah

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home