Just Greyson and Me



Greyson and I took the train downtown today. It has been a very long time since he and I went on an excursion together, just the two of us. We used to take the train downtown once a week until I got pregnant with Ella and was too sick to do anything that involved. If you do the math, it's been almost a year since we last went, so today was special for me. Union Square is wonderful this time of year. I left my gargantuan diaper bag at home and donned my old backpack with just a sippy cup and some snacks. What a difference a few years makes in gear. Not only that, he seemed so grown up. We did all the usual things, but instead of wanting to sit on my lap, he sat criss-cross-applesauce on the seat beside me. Instead of telling me which station was coming up next, we were reading the names of the stations together at each stop. At one point, he said, "You sleep, Ma, I'll wake you up when we get to Powell." See what I mean? All grown up.


We went to visit the SPCA animals at Macy's, watch ice-skaters at the Square, count Christmas trees and wreaths, shop at the Gap, get cream puffs at Beard Papa then headed on home. He said the funniest things like, "Ma, when I'm 99 I'm going to be as tall as the Macy's building." I have very few windows of time these days to have alone time with my son. Whenever I'm with both kids, I'm usually shielding Ella from him or trying to manage his excitability with her. It isn't a pretty picture most days. So I'm thankful for opportunities to leave Ella with Michelle, and just be with Greyson. It definitely pays off. Tonight at bedtime, as I left his room, he said, "Goodnight my sweet little beautiful Mommy." Sigh.

1 Comments:
Having one child is a lonely number. Having two, giving him/her a sibling, becomes hands-ful!! Greyson must be glad to have Mom as he used to in days of old. Enjoy Mom!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home