Moving On







This week we bid farewell to our home as we know it. Yesterday, movers came and took several pieces of furniture to make room for staging that will happen tomorrow. I am heartbroken to see this place change. This condo has been my creative outlet for four years. I've poured my heart and soul into designing, decorating and nesting here. It's hard for me to now hand it over to minimalist stagers who will remove and de-clutter all in the effort of marketing. Roque, knowing how I felt, insisted we take pictures of the place before the movers came so we could remember it as we know it; toys in the corner, high chair by the table, clutter here and there. That's what makes it ours. It was such a pain to take these photos. Our place is currently ridden with moving boxes so we had to move them out of the way every time we took a shot. I was ready to let it go, but my husband patiently did it, box after box. He said I'd regret it if we didn't, and he is right. The pictures were more for me than they were for him, and it was so sweet of him to make it happen.

I found these old pictures of when we first bought our condo. It was a blisteringly hot day, and the running joke has always been that I look like I'm not wearing pants in the photo. In turn, Anki looks naked in the group photo. I will always remember this place as the first home that truly belonged to us. It looks so different now that the movers have come and gone. It feels large and empty. Greyson crawls around looking for his familiar pull up points; his toy chest, our dressers. As the reality of this move seeps in, so does my grief. I am profoundly saddened to leave this home, this community and this area. As a couple Roque and I could have lived here indefinitely. As a family, we have to move on.

3 Comments:
I was just looking at my blog and came across the picture from Greyson's birthday party. It's funny, but my parents moved into a house when I was around Greyson's age. Of course I don't remember the apartment we lived in before, but my parents have really fond memories of living there before I was born. This is sad now, but the new house will hold so many more years of memories for you - you and Roq will tell Greyson about your apartment and he'll see pictures, but this new house will be his home; the home that was bought and designed specifically for all of you.
We're sad too that we'll not get to see nor stay in this Californian apartment any more..a place we've chalked fond memories. (I'm specially attached to the cook-area!) We look forward to being your guests at the new house..indeed we've to move on!
hey - where are the pictures of the best painted room in the house? =)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home