Memorial Day Potty Training



We started potty-training Greyson last weekend. Per the advice of lots of boy moms, I've put this off as long as possible, but lately, it seems like we're postponing the inevitable. With preschool looming in September, and only two more long weekends till then (Memorial Day and 4th of July), I figured, why not give it a try. It's been a week and I honestly can't believe how easy it's been.
We started on Saturday morning. We changed his diaper and instead of putting a diaper back on, we let him run around the house in just pants. The only accident he had was when he bolted out of the room right after I took his diaper off to look for Roque and he peed on the living room rug. After that, he didn't have a single one. I couldn't believe it. After that, he told us each and every time he had to go pee. He'd still soil his pants a little because I think what would happen was he'd feel himself start to squirt, then hold it, tell us and then we'd run him to the potty. Still, I under-estimated how much control he has. We had the potty in our hallway bathroom, and he always made it all the way there. Not even that, he can start peeing, stop mid-stream, stand up, assess how much pee there is in the potty, comment ("There's so much pee pee!"), and then sit back down and continue peeing. As we pour it down the toilet, he flushes it and says, affectionately, "Bye Grey's pee pee!" We give him a sticker every time he goes pee pee on the potty, and he also gets a jelly bean. We've also called all the important folks; Lola and Lolo, Ah Ma and Gong2 and Ah Ee Michelle, to let them know the big news. And, Uncle Bebe was there first thing in the morning on Saturday to help cheer him on, bless his heart.
Poop has been really painless too. He refuses to poop on the potty, but he hasn't pooped in his pants at all. When he needs to poop, he tells us, "Wear a diaper, make poo poo?" We put one on him, he poops, we clean him up and then back into underpants he goes. I know he will do it when he's ready, and one diaper a day isn't half bad. I feel really lucky that potty training has been this easy for us. I guess he was much more ready than I had given him credit for. It makes me realize how much I fear the unknown. I'd been praying for Greyson all last week, and had all my cleaners and gear ready, bracing myself for a ton of clean up, soiled rugs, couches and a boatload of laundry. One "training" accident, and four pairs of gently soiled pants on Saturday, that was it. It hasn't been anything close to what I imagined. Since the weekend, he's progressed to pulling his own pants up and down during pees, and peeing in the bushes at the playground. Greyson's reaction to the latter was precious. He looked in pure wonder at the pee on the ground and whispered under his breath, "Bubbles."

1 Comments:
Great job Greyson! Must be a great discovery too of the pee2 & poo2 from your own body! True smooth transition Mom & Pa..good job done in waiting!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home