Greycinations

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mr Appleseed.

It is Johnny Appleseed's birthday and in honor of him, the first grade class is making apple pies. His teachers asked for parent volunteers, and I couldn't wait to go. I can still remember the first day I volunteered at Greyson's last school. I remember peering at him through the gates at recess, watching him scarf lunch down sitting on the asphalt in the yard, and my heart breaking. Today was just night and day from that last experience. All around us, teachers and staff were welcoming us, chatting with us, letting us come and go in the classroom, thanking us for our help. I got to go right up to Greyson at this desk and give him a kiss. I got to go outside and observe recess, watch him play and get to know his friends. I saw them come in from recess, and eat snack at their tables in the classroom. One of his teachers told me I should get him some second grade workbooks to work on to keep him challenged, and that she's working on getting him to slow down and not rush through his work. It feels good to see that his teachers have gotten to know him.

Moving him to this new school was the best decision we have ever made, by far. I can remember feeling like I was standing in a beam of light and God was saying, "Go here." The look on Greyson's face when he saw me walk into the classroom was priceless. He was proud to show me his classroom, and I am certain the positive response of his teachers to us made a huge difference in the melding of his worlds. I was helping one of his classmates peel an apple and the kids said, "Wow, Greyson's Mom, you do that really fast!" to which my boy immediately said, "That's because she's good!" When did the tables turn, and they start being proud of us? 



 
When I look back on the journey we've taken to come to this school, I am just in awe of God and the way He works. It was not for nothing we were at our last school for the year we were. Two of the families that were dearest to us moved to this school with us. What are the chances that would have happened? I would have said zero to none, but God can do the impossible. I cannot describe how full my heart is today.

1 Comments:

Blogger AhMah said...

So so happy to see him settled, fitting in like hands & gloves in the School!

AhMah

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home