Greycinations

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Leaps and Bounds

Greyson is progressing with leaps and bounds in potty training. It has been 11 days since we started. He's had two accidents to date. By Day 3 of training, he was in underwear, with the exception of naps and bedtime. I worried that might make him regress but it didn't. By Day 4, he figured out how to pee standing up (we called Lola from the playground to celebrate). By Day 5, he was going on his own, pulling his pants up and down by himself (of course, he still loves an audience). Then today, I came home, and my nanny told me he peed in a public restroom while they were out, and that he peed in the toilet at home the rest of the day. Just like that, all my potty chairs are now moot. It all happened so fast.

It really has been quite strange. I feel like I've been spared a rite of passage that every mother has to endure. I've had my fill of the horror stories, especially from boy moms, about how many pairs of poopy pants they had to clean, how many rugs shampooed and how many changes of clothes they have to lug with them. Sometimes, I even forget to bring an extra change of clothes for Grey when we go out, because I've had it so easy with him. We just completely lucked out. Timing met readiness and we were spared the universal ordeal. I am so incredibly thankful.

In other news, we found out tonight that Greyson understands opposites. It was kind of crazy. While brushing his teeth tonight, Roque just started asking him, "What's the opposite of hot?" "Cold!" Greyson said. Then he asked Grey other ones, and he knew a bunch; full-empty, near-far, this-that, here-there, rough-smooth, goodbye-hi, tall-short, wet-dry, fast-slow, run-walk, asleep-awake. For the record, we are not over-achieving parents sitting at home grilling our child on opposites. We borrowed one book from the library about it, and that's it. We don't even read it that often. I have no idea how he knows half the things he does. My only conclusion is that Greyson is just one big absorbent Scotch-Brite right now and he always surprises me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the truth! Ahmah has said it & she says again..the child is a high-end-quality SPONGE!!AhMah

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home