Greycinations

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Are you Sure?....YES!!!!

Lola and Lolo came to visit a few weeks ago and it has been the highlight of our summer. Greyson thoroughly enjoyed having them in the house for a solid week and a half. Even when my parents visit, which is frequent, they seldom stay for longer than 4 days at a stretch. This was such a treat for both Greyson, and us, to have them there the whole time. I'm not sure if it was because they were "newer" people, and Greyson had to learn to communicate with them in a clearer way, but his cognitive and verbal development took a giant leap while they were here. All of a sudden, it was like he was a little boy. He talked like one, behaved like one, picked up all sorts of phrases and words from his grandparents. For example, before they came, he used to say, "Yeah", now, he says, "Yes!" Mom would ask him a question, say "Are you sure?" and he'd reply "Yes!!" It became their running joke. He also started saying, "Check it out." He'd walk downstairs and say, "Let's go check Lola and Lolo." One day he said, "What in the world is that?" (a Lolo thing). Today I sneezed, and he said, "Bless you, Mama!" Yet another indelible mark left by his grandparents. Honestly, by the time they left, Greyson was barely recognizable to me.

We took a short hiatus to Tahoe while they were here. It is so incredibly beautiful this time of year. Other than the scary asthma attack Greyson had while we were there, it was a lovely, relaxing time. Picnics on the beach, looking for pine cones with Lola, climbing rocks at Sand Harbor, playing Boggle Junior with Lolo after naps, swimming, and lots of throwing pebbles into waves. I think Greyson's favorite memory might have been wading in the lake with Lola. I love the picture of him knee-deep in water, wearing his favorite bugs underpants. My in-laws are so easy to be around. I miss the little things. I miss just having them around our house, and the simple things like figuring out meals with Mom, or her telling me how to make an easy Mac and Cheese; or having Dad around to play Boggle Junior or bowling with Greyson, and fuss over our car.





























































It was sad when we had to take them to the airport to go home. We carefully prepared Greyson for it, and he totally knew as they were leaving that they weren't coming back. Still, he misses them and asks for them, but he totally understands that they're gone. Just yesterday he asked me in the car, "Ma, where's Lola and Lolo?" If you say, "Where are they, Greyson?" he'll reply, "They're in Texas." I think he's getting old enough to understand that people come and go. I hate that reality of life, it might be the one I hate the most.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greyson is much loved; so are you & dear Rock. Yes, thank God for extended family! AhMah

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home