Christmas At Our House


Christmas morning. We woke up, built a fire, and decided to do presents after breakfast. As a special treat, I made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. Greyson loves chocolate, not that he gets it often, his occasional treat in the afternoons is Cocoa Krispies with milk. Nonetheless, since Roque's birthday when he had his first chocolate cupcake, it's been a love affair. He climbed up on his stool and watched me longingly as I dropped chocolate chips into his pancakes on the griddle. Every time I pulled a chip out of the bag, he'd open his mouth and go "ah! ah! ah!" as if trying to catch it with his mouth. Papa was able to capture the whole thing on film, from Greyson salivating, to begging, to finally getting some and then smirking.


1."Ah...ah....AH!" 2. "Please?"


3. "Mmm...chocolate. 4." "Suckah!"
After breakfast, we started opening presents. Uncle Arvin's present was the first one he picked out from under the tree. I think he memorized it by wrapping paper. Greyson loved the fire truck that Lola and Lolo bought him, and, among other things, his new Doodle Pro and Locks and Doors puzzle. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for lavishing Greyson with your love and generosity. After presents, I puttered around the kitchen, while Roque and Greyson went out to the backyard to weed. Before Greyson went down for his nap, we lit a candle and sang "Happy Birthday" to Jesus.




For me, this Christmas was about making the Christmas story meaningful to my 2.5 year old, and creating family traditions. As a mother, I feel that it's part of my job to give my son meaningful traditions to hold onto so that when he is forty, he'll be able to say that "In my house at Christmas, we always did this, or ate that." Whether it's chocolate chip pancakes every Christmas morning, or corn casserole every Christmas dinner, or lighting a candle and singing "Happy Birthday, Jesus" or even going for a walk after dark to see the Christmas lights in St Francis Woods, I want Greyson to always remember what Christmas was like at our house.

1 Comments:
you are so on top of things...i keep saying that I want to make these traditions for ollie, and i better start next year, probably the first year she might remember.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home