Countdown to Preschool
Next Monday is Greyson's first day of preschool. I am percolating with emotion. On one hand, I am giddy with excitement. I can't wait for him to venture out, develop in the areas that I know only school and peers can help him do. I'm looking forward to meeting other parents at this school, and making new community. It's like it's my first day of school! Yet, at the same time, like any mom, I worry. I worry how he'll transition, those first few days being out there without us there to translate and speak for him. I have a million questions in my mind. What happens if he falls down and no one sees? Will they help him pull his pants up after peeing? He's still not too good at doing that. And if he gets his waistband all twisted and it's uncomfortable, will someone notice? Will he know to tell someone? What if a kid is mean to him? Will they make sure he washes his hands before snack? Will they remember that he says "you" for "I" and "I" for "you"? How, how, how do you relinquish advocacy for your kids?Then of course, there's the whole separation ordeal. As if on purpose, Greyson in the last couple of months, has become a complete Mama's boy. He wants hugs all the time, wants me to snuggle in bed with him all the time, only wants me to read books or take him to go potty. However this new clinginess will play out on the first day of school, I am pretty much sure it will be brutal, for both parties. I had an idea to make him a little card with our picture on one side, and a drawing of a clock that shows 11:30 (the time I'll pick him up) on the other. I thought I'd punch a hole in it, string a cord through and he could wear it around his neck on his first day. Whenever he's sad, he can look at our picture, and remember that we always come back. But Roque is vehemently opposed. He is dead against Greyson being the dorky kid in class wearing the Mama's boy necklace. He said, "Honey, I think you are the one that needs a necklace to wear to work on his first day of preschool." I think he might be right.

3 Comments:
the worrying doesn't get easier, it's still brutal to drop Ollie off everyday when i really just want to hang out with her. it doesn't get easier, but you learn to move and work and live around it. i think as a mother we'll always feel that sense of being pulled towards our children, wanting to protect and cushion them from all the possible uncomfortable or bad things around them. but i think i've realized and will continue to realize all throughout this experience as a mom that if i cushion her from the uncomfortable and bad, then i'm also cushioning her from the good and beautiful.
Your open articulation of all the fears & trepidations..so so real & ' normal ' of a Mother..part & parcel of motherhood! Ahmah
I laughed SO hard at your card idea. Lol I remember wanting to send Clea to daycare with food but Andrew wouldn't let me for fear of branding her as the oddball. Fact is, they have a routine and the whole herd follows that routine. So Grey will likely have to wash his hands before he eats like the rest of the herd. :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home