A Day In the Life


Today was a fabulous day. It felt like a Saturday from the pre-Greyson era. This morning, we went to the farmer's market down by the Ferry Building. The morning fog was chased away by about 10:30 and it turned out to be a beautiful day downtown. Greyson napped in his stroller while Roque and I walked around and feasted our eyes on a splendid array of produce, pastries, specialty foods and flowers. We ate breakfast and milled among the crowds of locals and tourists, all up bright and early to support our local growers and enjoy the joys of living in California: sunny skies, ocean views and fresh produce. I feel so grateful to be living where I do. I walked past a stall that was selling fresh butter and the sign said "Made Yesterday." For a foreigner like myself, stuff like that gives me the kicks. I traded fresh roti prata (a Singaporean Indian pancake) for fresh butter.
Grey Grey woke up from his nap in great spirits. We gave him samples of cherries and yogurt, let him smell fresh lavender and nurse an organic avocado. He was cheery and full of smiles. We fed him his lunch on a bench outside Embarcadero 4. He ate salmon, green beans and Super Porridge; then downed dessert of fresh strawberries, banana and tofu. After a little shopping at the Embarcadero Mall, we headed home for Greyson's second nap. When he woke up, we decided to go eat an early dinner at My Tofu House, one of our favorite old haunts. We used to eat there at least once a month before Greyson was born. Today was our first time there in eight months.
I can't even describe how it feels to have a taste of my pre-mommy life, even for just one day. Being downtown made me feel alive and brought back so many memories of the days when I worked full-time. Walking among the crowds, albeit cumbersome with a stroller, made me feel like I was current, alive, and so far from the isolation that can set in as a new stay-at-home mom. Even though my life is very different now, nothing beats seeing the look on my son's face today when he caught his first whiff of fresh lavender, or watching him relish his first Rainier cherry. It's like you get to experience the little things all over again and the joys abound. Nonetheless, it's nice to know that with a little bit of planning, it is possible to recreate a day in a life of childless married people.


2 Comments:
i love how he sits so straight, his smiles are so cute. i love this blog so i can see him everyday.
i am so glad you are getting these days. these are moments of reprieve and gratitude that make everything worthwhile. cling onto them, and depend on the fact that they do come, when the next transitions come!
most cheeky, cute2 smile!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home